Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Worlds Greatest Lawn Ornament


How many of you have "Lawn Ornaments" in your front yard. I enjoy driving the rural and suburban roads laughing, rolling my eyes or drooling over these prized possessions. Lawn ornaments make a statement. It is a glimpse into the homeowners inner child or creative side. If you are one of those with a front yard void of lawn ornaments you probably should take a deeper look at yourself.

I am proud to say we had the best lawn ornament around. It arrived today and shortly thereafter it was gone. Have you guessed what it is? I can promise you will not guess unless you speak to one of our children. It will be the first thing that comes out of their mouth. They will talk about it and imitate it for hours...so if you ask them about it be prepared for an earful. I would be curious as to what you think it is. Please pass it on to me for some chuckles.

I was unpacking groceries and police, firetrucks and ambulances started to arrive at our dead end street. We have only been in our rental for one month now and things are very quiet in this two acre lot subdivision. The children were lined up at the window admiring the Hook and Ladder Truck and trying to figure out what they were doing. Two men walked up the road about 50 feet and stopped any traffic that may come through. We were puzzled for we really do not have traffic at the end of our street. There was no fire...all was quiet.

Then we heard it! It appeared from over the trees circling our house and hovering overhead. Daniel was screaming there it is. Its landing. Its landing. I ran out the back door to get a picture for the children expecting it to land in the road. It landed in our front yard!

I ran back into the house because I have never been so close to such a lawn ornament and thought it would blow me away. Inside I peered through the storm door. I could not believe my eyes. Have you guessed yet. It was not Santa's Sleigh nor was it a UFO. It was a meda-vac helicopter...and it landed 50 to 75 feet from our house smack dab in the middle of our front yard. The placement was perfect. I opened the front door to take a picture. The wind whirled like cyclones and the engine roared sending Jonathan to the kitchen crying.
Closing the storm door to block the wind and noise, we stood and watched for 5 minutes before they brought someone out on a stretcher. The chopper was loaded, elevated into the air and disappeared over our roof line never to be seen again. I sent prayers as the children watched with amazement. Mike was at the farm. I prayed he would not come home for I knew he would only think the worst with a medi-vac helicopter in our front yard. He was in disbelief at our story until he saw the pictures for himself. I have attached a few.

I asked the man in the ambulance if he was permitted to tell me what happened. He was vague and said a lady was injured and to ask the police. He was a polite fellow and said thank you for letting them use our front yard. "The police did ask if they could land there didn't they?" he asked. I looked at him a bit confused wondering why they would ask...it was an emergency and heck they could use our front yard any time they needed. I told him no they did not ask and he apologized. I chuckled telling him there was no need to apologize. The helicopter gave my three children a memory of a lifetime. He was pleased and said "Great."

No comments: